An intensive 2-day workshop for those who want to learn how to live sustainably with the seasons. Learn to work with nature, how weather and climate pattern our landscape, and in turn pattern our lives.
On day 1 of the course we will explore the major forces that shape our landscape – sun, wind, water, fertility – and how we harmonize and use them as predictable forces of energy. We will then define the major climates of the world and how to live within each. A homesteading guest speaker will also share their valuable wisdom living with the seasons.
Day 2 we will blow your mind with pattern theory. Then we will apply the information from the previous day into a cyclical calendar and journal that students take home. We will also go outside and work together creating a “food calendar” patio where different species are strategically placed to fruit around the patio in order through the seasons.
This course is a humbling start to how humans can live with and within their ecosystem.
What you will learn:
- The major climates of the world and how to live within each with a focus on local cold temperate
- The cycle of the year and how it relates to home, food, and community
- A new world view of our environment as energy, entropy, and patterns
- How to start engaging your physical and social landscape
About Food & Venue:
Get prepared for delicious, home made, “feel good” food. We will start the morning with coffee, tea and a delectable snack. After a morning of using your brain, be prepared for a lunch to remember. With full stomachs and minds we will offer you a selection of tea in the afternoon. Be nourished and inspired to learn all the more!
All of this incredible goodness will be offered to you from the St. Albert Grain Elevator Parks indoor classroom, which you will find below the renovated train station. Nearby you have gorgeous walking trails, a food forest to explore, and a site rich in history and character.
- 8:45-9am – Coffee/tea and Welcome
- 9am – 10:30am – 1st Class session
- 10:30am – 10:45am – 15 min Break with refreshments
- 10:45am – 12:15pm – 2nd Class session
- 12:15pm – 1:15pm – 60 min Lunch Break
- 1:15pm – 2:45pm – 3rd Class Session
- 2:45pm – 3:00pm – 15 min Break with refreshments
- 3:00pm – 4:30pm – 4th class Session