An intensive 2-day workshop all about how to capture, store and make the most out of the water. Learn how to put water to to its maximum potential so you have life and a source of clean, free water for home and garden.
On Day 1, we will cover the basics of rain water capturing off of roof surfaces. Learn the ins and outs, the dos and donts so you can capture, store and use the water that falls from the sky. After learning the basics, we will then build a rain capturing and tank system together as a class so you have the knowledge and skills to repeat at home.
On Day 2, we will get into the exciting realm of earthworks! We will cover the basics of pond construction, dams, and small earthworks such as swales to ensure your landscape can passively water itself and make the most of its water.
This practical weekend workshop will be an intensive blend of class sessions where students first learn the book knowledge, and then get turn that information into skills and wisdom through practical exercises.
What you will learn:
- Ways to capture water off your roof and how to calculate how much water your roof can catch
- The basics of rain water harvesting design and plumbing
- How to avoid costly mistakes, reduce work, and set up your water systems right the first time
- How to build an IBC rain tank and how to implement a passive water harvesting technique called a swale
About the Food & Venue:
Get prepared for delicious, home made, “feel good” food. We will start the morning with coffee, tea and a delectable snack. After a morning of using your brain be prepared for a lunch to remember. With full stomachs and minds we will lastly offer you a selection of tea in the afternoon. Be nourished and inspired to learn all the more!
All of this incredible goodness will be offered to you from the St. Albert Grain Elevator Parks indoor classroom, which you will find below the renovated train station. Nearby you have gorgeous walking trails, a food forest to explore, and a site rich in history and character.
- 8:45-9am – Coffee/tea and Welcome
- 9am – 10:30am – 1st Class session
- 10:30am – 10:45am – 15 min Break with refreshments
- 10:45am – 12:15pm – 2nd Class session
- 12:15pm – 1:15pm – 60 min Lunch Break
- 1:15pm – 2:45pm – 3rd Class Session
- 2:45pm – 3:00pm – 15 min Break with refreshments
- 3:00pm – 4:30pm – 4th class Session